Ujvala Singh has a depth of knowledge and experience in legal malpractice, ethics, and breach of fiduciary duty cases. She represents companies and individuals in pursuing such claims against their former attorneys and other fiduciaries, and is available to counsel law firms and other organizations on legal ethics issues.
Ms. Singh has successfully litigated, tried and handled the resulting appeals in cases involving attorneys’ professional negligence and ethics violations in commercial transactions and a variety of state and federal trial and appellate matters. The underlying cases in these attorney wrongdoing claims involved, for example: trusts and estates matters; eminent domain and condemnation proceedings; patent prosecution and litigation; trademark litigation; securities litigation with allegations of insider trading; a dispute between a startup company and its venture capital funder; business torts; personal injury matters; commercial construction disputes; immigration; bankruptcy; commercial land transactions.
Alongside her legal ethics and professional conduct practice, Ms. Singh also represents companies and individuals in corporate and business disputes.
While in law school, Ms. Singh served as judicial extern to the Honorable Susan R. Bolton, Senior Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arizona, and as judicial intern to the Honorable James S. Starzynski, retired as Chief Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Mexico.
In addition to the practice of law, Ms. Singh holds a Ph.D. in comparative literature with minors in classics and philosophy. As a scholar, she published peer reviewed articles, presented at conferences, and was a lecturer and a resident writing fellow at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI, Ph.D. (2002), M.A., B.A.
- Vermont Law School, South Royalton, VT, J.D., 2007
- U.S.D.C., Central District of California
- U.S.D.C., Northern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- State Bar of California
- Member, Standing Committee on Professional Responsibility and Conduct (COPRAC), 2015 – 2018
- MCLE Articles Editor, COPRAC, 2017-2018
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Arbitrator (volunteer), Attorney-Client Fee Arbitration Program
- Chair (2017), Member of Executive Committee, Delegation to the Conference of California Bar Associations: Justice Through Laws
- Conference of California Bar Associations: Justice Through Laws
- Director, Board of Directors
- Chair, Resolutions Committee
- Member, Legislation Committee
Presentations on Legal Topics
- Preserving the Attorney-Client Privilege When Communicating with In-House Counsel, Speaker, Port of Oakland, Program for Port staff and in-house counsel, February 14, 2020
- The Future of Law in California, Speaker, Conference of California Bar Associations, October 10-13, 2019
- Client Trust Accounting for Attorneys, Speaker, Placer County Bar Association, MCLE Program, March 21, 2019
- What’s New? The California Rules of Professional Conduct, Speaker, Butte County Bar Association, Special MCLE Event on Ethics and Professional Responsibility, November 6, 2018
- The New Rules of Professional Conduct, Speaker, State Bar of California, November 2, 2018
- Joint Defense Agreements: Intertwined Ethical and Strategic Considerations, Moderator, State Bar of California, 22nd Annual Statewide Ethics Symposium, April 6, 2018
- Proposed Changes to the Rules of Professional Conduct: Will They Affect Your Practice, Speaker, San Joaquin County Bar Association, Master Series MCLE Program, January 17, 2018
- Legislative Drafting: How to Get From an Idea to a Law, Speaker, Bar Association of San Francisco, January 11, 2018
- The Ethics Game: An Interactive Approach to Understanding the Top Legal Ethics Developments in California in 2016, California Minority Counsel Program / Kaiser 6th Annual CLE Marathon, January 11, 2017
- My Lips are Sealed – Client Secrets, Confidences and the Attorney-Client Privilege, Speaker, State Bar of California, 89th Annual Meeting, September 29 – October 2, 2016