We provide advice and legal representation to artists and art collectives, art consultants, arts organizations, developers, public entities, foundations and museums. We have particular experience in the realm of art intended for display in public spaces, involving both permanent and temporary installations, whether the work is a site-specific commission or the purchase and installation of existing work. We have experience with municipal “Per Cent for Art” ordinances; large scale arts festival commissions and installations; and private party transactions.
We advise our clients regarding intellectual property protections, contracting and licensing of all sorts, and all facets of business activities.
We also bring years of experience in dispute resolution, as well as dispute avoidance.
Our attorneys can assist with:
- Business formation;
- Copyright registration, licensing, assignments and transfers;
- Contracts for the commission of artworks;
- Consignment agreements;
- Distribution, production and service agreements;
- Droit Moral and Visual Artists Rights Act issues;
- Employment and independent contractor issues;
- Loan Agreements;
- Nonprofit formation and operations;
- Rights of Publicity;
- Sales Agreements; and
- Insurance coverage and claims.